FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - February 2, 2012
BELLEVILLE – Ontario’s Food and Beverage (FAB) Region was recognized with an award at this week’s Economic Developers Council of Ontario (EDCO) annual conference in Toronto. The award recognizes the iPad App “How to start a Cheese Making Business in Eastern Ontario” as an innovative use of technology and social media. The App was created in partnership with the Counties of Lennox & Addington, Hastings, Prince Edward as well as the Frontenac Community Futures Development Corporation.
“We are thrilled to receive this award”, stated Anne Prichard Executive Director of the Frontenac CFDC. “I am also proud of the way that we continue to work with our neighboring counties to pool resources and funding, and brand ourselves as the place to manufacture artisan food and beverages.”
“With sales of small scale and artisan cheese set to grow by $100 million in Ontario over the next decade, we want to position this region to be at the forefront of this growing industry,” stated Stephen Paul Economic Development Manager for Lennox & Addington County. “Our assessment indicates that there is a need for 25 to 50 new artisan cheese makers across the province and helping prospective cheese makers locate here by providing them with a clearinghouse of information ranging from milk supply, equipment, regulations and financing is just smart business,” added Karin Desveaux Economic Development for Prince Edward County.
“The collaboration between the four counties just made sense and those efforts are paying off. We have already had some serious contacts to follow up with as a result of the iPad App being downloaded more than 600 times. Receiving the award is very gratifying and validates for us that we are on the right track”, said Andrew Redden Economic Development Manager for Hastings County.
The iPad App is a how-to guide for starting your own cheese making business in Eastern Ontario. The App contains over 55 pages of interactive content, guidelines and fundamentals for creating a successful cheese making business from start to finish. Topics include an overview of the cheese making business in Ontario, start-up costs, interviews with current cheese makers, types of farms and animals, and much more.
About FAB Region – www.fabregion.ca
Ontario’s FAB Region consists of four municipal economic development offices, namely Hastings County, Lennox & Addington County, Prince Edward County, and the Frontenac Community Futures Development Corporation. Originally we partnered to market ourselves as Ontario’s Artisan Cheese Region – Invest In Cheese. While we are still keeping that brand, we are now moving forward as Ontario’s Food and Beverage (FAB) Region. This includes investment marketing for craft brewing, wine making, distilling, artisan breads, charcuterie, mustard, condiments…. The list is endless.
EDCO is Canada’s largest provincial economic development association that offers this program as well as professional development opportunities throughout the year. Membership is close to 600 that come from the private and public sector.
We have developed a new handbook that guides you through the cheese making process and the important steps involved. Here is a link where you can download a copy of the PDF version of the handbook and navigate it on your computer/laptop just like you would on an iPad. Keep in mind it is a rather large file so it may take some time to download if you have a slow Internet connection. However, if you own an iPad, you can download our free app
If you have any issues with it, don’t hesitate to contact us
Also, according to a 2009 report on Artisan Cheese in Eastern Ontario, the demand for Artisan Cheese isn’t slowing.
- To assess the market awareness and demand for artisanal cheese in Eastern Ontario.
- To determine what Eastern Ontario artisanal cheese producers need to learn in order to satisfy those demands.
- To determine the ideal approach (college sector applied research and knowledge-delivery) in response to those needs.
We have a copy of the report for you to download here.
- Tour our Region Discover our FAB Region & take the new Discovery Tour
- Bancroft Brewing Company New craft brewery in Bancroft opens
- iCraft Brew Download the start-up handbook
- New Craft Brewery MacKinnon Brothers Brewing opens
- Living their dream Limestone Organic Creamery - Frontenac County
- New Winery for Hastings County Living the winery dream
- Living their dream 66 Gilead Distillery - Prince Edward County
- Living their dream Zia Rita's Gluten Free Bakery - Lennox & Addington County
- Living their dream Seed to Sausage - County of Frontenac
- iPad app Own an iPad? You should download our iPad app informing you how to start a cheesemaking business in Eastern Ontario
- Potter's Settlement Vineyard and Winery Learn more about a new winery opening up in our region!
- FAB Region iPad App Wins Award