Chocolate and Beer Pairings
While many people instinctively think of pairing chocolate and wine, we wanted to learn more about pairing craft beer with chocolate. Earlier this week we asked local chocolate specialist, Ludwig Ratzinger of Fine Chocolate By Ludwig, about pairing his chocolate with craft beer. Here’s what Ludwig had to say. Cheers!
There are two varieties of my chocolate that would pair well with dark beer. Both of these chocolates pair nicely with Beau’s Tom Green Milk Stout or with Ashton Brewing Company’s Vanilla Stout.
1. Maracaibo Clasificado 65%
The Maracaibo Clasificado 65% couverture was named the best couverture by the Italian Pastry Academy. A pure Grand Cru Chocolate made of Criollo beans from Sur del Lago, Maracaibo, Venezuela. It has aromas of coffee and plum and notes of orange blossom, cinnamon and raisin. Read more!
2. Cru Sauvage 68%
Cru Sauvage made with 68% cocoa mass from wild cocoa beans come from the Amazon region of Beni, Bolivia. The substantial and harmonious cocoa flavors of the Cru Sauvage are well complemented with the freshness of the lemon and the fruitiness of the grapefruit. The traditional gentle processing method (60 hours conching) unfolds the intense dried prune bouquet and vanilla in its most exquisite way. The exceptionally pleasant fruit acidity and the long-lasting ending make the Cru Sauvage with its cocoa content of 68% a unique culinary experience. Read more!
- Tour our Region Discover our FAB Region & take the new Discovery Tour
- Bancroft Brewing Company New craft brewery in Bancroft opens
- iCraft Brew Download the start-up handbook
- New Craft Brewery MacKinnon Brothers Brewing opens
- Living their dream Limestone Organic Creamery - Frontenac County
- New Winery for Hastings County Living the winery dream
- Living their dream 66 Gilead Distillery - Prince Edward County
- Living their dream Zia Rita's Gluten Free Bakery - Lennox & Addington County
- Living their dream Seed to Sausage - County of Frontenac
- iPad app Own an iPad? You should download our iPad app informing you how to start a cheesemaking business in Eastern Ontario
- Potter's Settlement Vineyard and Winery Learn more about a new winery opening up in our region!
- FAB Region iPad App Wins Award