Read a recent news story about fashion model Sandor Johnson’s Hastings County winery in Tweed here.
The Ontario Government issued a news release today stating that the LCBO is enjoying the most successful year in its history, helping to create jobs through promoting Ontario’s wine and beer industries.
Through campaigns such as I Love Canada and goLOCAL sales of local beer and wine are increasing and customers are engaged by taking pride in supporting local producers. In 2011-12:
- Sales from Ontario Craft Brewers led all product segments with almost 45 per cent growth as more consumers chose to “go local” with Ontario craft beers because of their premium quality and distinctive styles.
- Sales of VQA table wines increased by nine per cent, reaching almost $106 million. Since 2006-07, sales of Ontario VQA wines have more than doubled, thanks to the craftsmanship of Ontario winemakers who produce high-quality, award-winning products.
- Interest in premium wine and spirits continues to grow as VINTAGES releases some 6,000 products a year (120 to 150 new products are released every two weeks).
The message from all of these stats is that local Ontario craft beer and wine sales are increasing. What a great opportunity to invest now and open your brewery or winery in our FAB Region! We can help… contact us today!
Reprinted with the permission of the Tweed News (click below to enlarge):
In economic development, we work hard to drum up attention to try and attract the “needle in the haystack” – that entrepreneur who’s out there somewhere wanting to open up a business in our region.
Then that day comes when the “stars align” and we learn the details of an investment decision! That day happened to me a while ago when Sandor Johnson informed me of his dream to open a winery in Hastings County, near the Village of Tweed. What!!!!??? A winery in Tweed!!! You probably thought that was only possible in Niagara Region or Prince Edward County! Well, read on.
Sandor never really went public with his decision to open a winery until this past weekend. At a special Business Forum in Tweed, Sandor described himself and his plans for the Potter Settlement Vineyards and Winery.
After growing up near Tweed, Sandor graduated from university and received a Master’s in Journalism from Carleton University. He landed a job with CNN in Tokyo and started a modeling career. He’s worked with Versace, GQ, Armani and DKNY. He even acted on the American soap opera All My Children.
Despite the excitement of traveling the world, he’s been dreaming of his winery in Hastings County and has invested a great deal of time and money finding the right grapes to grow. He now has 10 acres of grapes which include Frontenac noir, Gris, Blanc, Marquette, Marechel Foch, and Petite Pearl. He describes Hastings County as a “nascent wine region” since other neighbouring property owners are indicating a desire to follow Sandor’s footsteps now knowing that it can be done.
I had the pleasure of enjoying some of the wine that Sandor has made, and it’s some of the best wine I’ve ever had!
Sandor hopes to have a new building constructed on the property soon, and I can’t wait because I look forward to visiting to purchase more of that fantastic Hastings County wine!
If you would like to learn more about our wine region and invest, contact us today!
- Tour our Region Discover our FAB Region & take the new Discovery Tour
- Bancroft Brewing Company New craft brewery in Bancroft opens
- iCraft Brew Download the start-up handbook
- New Craft Brewery MacKinnon Brothers Brewing opens
- Living their dream Limestone Organic Creamery - Frontenac County
- New Winery for Hastings County Living the winery dream
- Living their dream 66 Gilead Distillery - Prince Edward County
- Living their dream Zia Rita's Gluten Free Bakery - Lennox & Addington County
- Living their dream Seed to Sausage - County of Frontenac
- iPad app Own an iPad? You should download our iPad app informing you how to start a cheesemaking business in Eastern Ontario
- Potter's Settlement Vineyard and Winery Learn more about a new winery opening up in our region!
- FAB Region iPad App Wins Award